FNC TableView : scrolling is slow

Hello,

We recently changed our FMX TableViews for the FNC's one and I noticed that the scrolling is not as smooth as before. We added an image and a bouton on each item, could that be the problem ?

I'm sure that is the problem. Did you also use HTML?

Hello Pieter,

I cannot remember, it was more than 2 years ago.

Before trying the FNC TableView, we had tried using FMX, and the scrolling was also incredibly jarry and slow on both iOS and Android.

We have since bitten the bullet and redone both apps natively (the Android App using Android studio, and the iOS app using Swift and XCode) and the result is now fluid and fast.

My conclusion is that Delphi is great for the Windows desktop and C/S (and this is how I have been using it since 1995), but that for phone apps, it is just too heavy with intermediary baggage.

Very best regards,

Olivier

Native alway gives the best experience. That's a fact. If there is anything other that we can help you with, please don't hesistate to contact us. My apologies for the late response, notifications were not working on this part of the forum.

Hi Pieter,

No problem about the delay.

Yes, native is always best, the reason why we moved from VB to Delphi in 1995 :-).

But, our table view does nothing spectacular (see https://www.qppstudio.net/software/ios-app.htm), and table views are the main components of most phone apps. So this means that using Delphi for phone apps is really a dead end. Or am I missing something ?

Very best regards,

Olivier

Images, HTML and more can affect performance. We'll investigate how we can improve performance in TTMSFNCTableView, but generally Android and iOS have less performance in FMX than on Windows and macOS. With 10.4 they are targetting Metal APIs, so perhaps that could help in increasing performance. Alternatively you could also used TMS iCL, which has a wrapper around the native UITableView.

Good to know that TMS iCL now has a wrapper around the native UITableView (it did not in the autumn of 2017 when I tried to do these apps using Delphi).

Hmm, that's strange. UITableView was one of the first TMS iCL components. So it had to be included back in 2017 as well.

Or maybe we just decided to use FNC so we could have the same codebase for Android and iOS. I was a while ago :-)

Sure, don't worry :) I'm just taking a look at posts that have been unanswered, trying to find out if there is still help needed or not. Thanks for the feedback!Pieter Scheldeman2020-06-17 11:19:37