Form became non responsive

I ran across an interesting problem last week.  This was with the current version of TMS VCL tools and CBldr 2007.  The program sends about 600 emails with attachments one at a time.  It is a slow process, but this is for an AA group and we have to protect member's email addresses.  Sending blocks of addresses via BCC is out because the ISPs are terrified of people sending spam.  It's been a problem for us.  Anyway  the program uses Indy 10 to send the emails and updates an AdvStringGrid with each email sent, scrolling the grid as the program progresses.  It also updates a AdvProgressBar with each email sent and an AdvEdit with an estimate of completion time.  Each email takes a bit less than 30 seconds. 

At about 25% completion (150 emails) the screen stopped updating.  The caption showed "not responding" and the Form faded.  However, the program was continuing to send emails and did so until it had sent all 600 emails.  Late in the process the form regained color and the "not responding" label in the form's caption disappeared ... but the screen elements did not resume updating.  At full completion the program did display an application->messagebox to tell us it had finished (as designed).  I've never encountered anything like this before and did web searches to get solutions with little success.  I'm only posting it here because the components that were not updating  were all TMS components that I am very happy with. 

Any ideas?

Without  knowing details, it is very hard to guess what is going wrong here.
Does it make a difference when you regularly call 
Application.ProcessMessages?